Make a car claim

If you do need to make a claim on your Car Insurance, whether you’ve had an accident or been a victim of theft, our experts are here to help you every step of the way.

Know what you're covered for

Reading through all the small print might not be everyone’s idea of fun, but it’s important that you understand what you’re covered for and what restrictions might apply.

How to make a Car Insurance claim

How to claim - FAQ's

Step 1 - Making a claim

Call your insurer as soon as possible

  • If you've been a victim of crime or if an accident has occurred, the first thing you should do is call the Emergency Services. You will need to give your Crime Reference Number to your insurer.

  • Your insurer's telephone number will be on your policy schedule, which you can access by clicking here.

  • If you can't find your policy schedule you can call the Policy Expert team on 0330 0600 601 and we'll transfer you.

  • The insurer will ask you questions about the incident to gather information about the claim, so try to be clear and honest in your answers. It might help if you write down exactly what happened, while it's still fresh in your mind.

Policy Expert Insurance: Make a car claim

Step 2 - Reviewing your claim

The insurers will take all the details of your claim, including the details of any other parties involved. Depending on the type of claim, your insurer may request that your vehicle is sent to a garage so the damage can be assessed.

Step 3 - Fixing your car

The garage will assess the damage on the vehicle and the cost to fix it.

  • If the cost of the repairs is greater than the value of the car – the insurer may offer you a cash sum.
  • If you're hit by an uninsured driver – you may have to pay the excess (depending on your insurer) but the insurer should cover the cost of repairs
  • If you weren't at fault – then you won't have to pay the excess and your insurer should be able to fix your car.
Policy Expert Insurance: Make a car claim

Need to make a claim on your
Legal Assistance cover?

Call the Legal Assistance team on 0330 0600 622 as soon as you think a legal issue might arise.

Policy Expert Insurance: Make a car claim

Have you broken down or need Roadside Assistance?

Call the Breakdown helpline on 0800 022 4411, for help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Frequently asked questions

Answering some of your questions:

QDo I need to provide proof of my No Claims Discount?

A We will need to receive proof of your NCD, which you can send to If we don’t receive proof of your no claims discount, this could invalidate your policy or lead to delays if you need to make a claim.

QWill you accept proof of No Claims Discount on a company car?

A If the car is a company car (not pool car) then we may be able to accept your No Claims Discount, but give us a call on 0330 0600 602 and we will discuss this with you.

QDo I need ‘business use’ insurance to get to work?

A You will be insured to drive to work, as long as you select Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting purposes on your policy. If you need to use your car to visit any other places of business (e.g. customer or site visits) then you’ll need to let us know on 0330 0600 602 so we can increase your cover levels.

QWhat modifications do you cover?

A All our insurers are slightly different, but as a general rule, we will cover most manufacturer modifications. If you’re so to ensure we cover your particular modification, give us a call on 0330 0600 602 to check.

QAm I insured to drive someone else’s car?

A If you have fully comprehensive cover, all our policies will cover you to drive another vehicle with Third Party Cover. Some of our insurers stipulate that you must be over 25 years old to be covered, so check your policy wording.

QCan someone else drive my car?

A If they’re a Named Driver on your policy then they will be covered to drive your car. If they have fully comprehensive insurance on their own vehicle, they may be covered to drive your vehicle Third Party, but they will need to check their own insurance details.

QCan I drive my car abroad?

A All our fully comprehensive policies will cover you to drive within the EU, although cover levels and time restrictions vary so make sure you check your Policy Documents carefully.

QHow do I make a claim?

A If you need to make a claim, give your insurer a call. You will need to provide them with your policy details, and details of the incident. If you have been given a Crime Reference Number, you should also pass over the information.

QAm I covered if I’m hit by an uninsured driver?

A If you’re unlucky enough to be hit by an uninsured driver, the repairs will be covered if you have fully comprehensive cover, although you may be asked to pay the excess.

QWill you automatically renew my insurance policy next year?

A Your renewal details will be sent to you 30 days before your renewal date. If you’d like to discuss your renewal with us, just give us a call on 0330 0600 602.