In November 2015 Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda (all part of Whirlpool) issued a recall for 5.3m faulty tumble dryers. The fault, which affects more than one hundred of their models, could cause fires if fluff or lint comes into contact with the heating element.
Tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015 could potentially be affected, but so far the manufacturer has struggled to identify and contact all the owners of the machines. Hotpoint are currently trying to arrange visits from engineers for all households affected, and are offering a free of charge service call to modify the faulty appliances.
If you have a Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryer, manufactured after April 2004, here’s what to do next:
1) Find your model & serial number
This can be found on the tag located either on the back of the dryer door or in the recess of the dryer door.
2) Visit https://safety.hotpoint.eu/
Type in your model & serial number to find out if your tumble dryer is affected.
3) If your model is affected – STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY
Contact Whirlpool/Hotpoint directly via their UK call centre on 03448 224 224 and they will advise you of the next steps to take.
4) Keep hold of any receipts, proof of purchase or records of services and repairs for the affected tumble dryers. This could include credit card statements, or even photographs of the machine.
All tumble dryers need regular and thorough care and attention, so please ensure you take these precautions:
Policy Expert would recommend the following:
- Clean the lint filter after every use
- Ensure you have proper venting around your machine
- Don’t leave tumble dryers running when you’re out of the house or asleep
As a Home Insurer, Policy Expert are here to provide help and assistance to our customers if they suffer a loss or damage to their property, and we’re always here to ensure the smooth handling of any potential claim. We ask any of our customers who have machines affected by the fault to follow the manufacturers recommended guidelines. You can contact one of our dedicated agents by calling 0330 0600 600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org