Christmas can be magical time of year, and decorating the house is a favourite tradition for many people. Make sure you keep your home and family safe with our handy Christmas check-list.
Things to check this Christmas:
- Don’t leave candles burning unattended – If you light candles, never leave them unattended or too close to Christmas decorations which could be flammable, particularly Christmas cards.
- Move stockings from above the fireplace – Hanging stockings above the fireplace is a wonderful Christmas tradition, but make sure they are kept suitably far away from the flames, particularly as the material may be highly flammable.
- Turn off your fairy lights – If you have fairy lights on your tree, make sure you turn these off whenever you’re not in the house and when you go to bed.
- Check your outdoor lighting too – Make sure outdoor lighting is switched off when you go out, and is connected to a suitable outdoor power source and not an indoor extension lead.
- Read the labels on children’s costumes – Small children often love dressing up in costumes, but make sure you check the labels for fire hazard warnings. Many of these costumes are extremely flammable, so it is important to check then carefully and keep children away from fireplaces and candles.
- Remove mistletoe berries if you have pets – Mistletoe berries are poisonous to animals. If you have mistletoe and pets in the house, remove the berries first.
- Going away for the holidays? – If you’re going away for the Christmas period, keep your heating at 14 degrees in the winter to avoid burst pipes, and make sure you turn off any Christmas lights before you go.
- Hide presents until Christmas Day – Keep presents out of sight in the run up to Christmas. Presents in full view of the windows are tempting for prospective burglars.
Taking just a few small precautions could help you and your family avoid a disaster this Christmas.
As an online insurance broker, Policy Expert help our customers to compare insurance products and find a policy that’s right for them. Customer care is at the heart of everything we do and we have a dedicated customer service team on hand by phone, email, twitter and instant chat. For more information on Home Insurance from Policy Expert, speak to one of our experts on 0330 0600 600 or email email@example.com